Someone contacts Samaritans every 6 seconds.
In the next hour, Samaritans will receive over 600 calls from people struggling to cope.
Smilinggg is supporting Samaritans to carry out their vision and mission.
Samaritans Vision is that fewer people die by suicide. They work to achieve this vision by making it their mission to alleviate emotional distress and reduce the incidence of suicide feelings and suicidal behaviour.
They do this by:
- Being available 24 hours a day to provide emotional support for people who are struggling to cope, including those who have had thoughts of suicide
- Reaching out to high risk groups and communities to reduce the risk of suicide
- Working in partnership with other organisations, agencies and experts
- Influencing public policy and raising awareness of the challenges of reducing suicide
They are committed to the following values:
- Listening, because exploring feelings alleviates distress and helps people to reach a better understanding of their situation and the options open to them
- Confidentiality, because if people feel safe, they are more likely to be open about their feelings
- People making their own decisions wherever possible, because we believe that people have the right to find their own solution and telling people what to do takes responsibility away from them
- Being non-judgemental, because we want people to be able to talk to us without fear of prejudice or rejection
- Human contact, because giving people time, undivided attention and empathy meets a fundamental emotional need and reduces distress and despair.
Past Fundraising Events: (£14,921.21)
2019: The Smilinggg Everest Challenge 2019: (£4,313.38)
2018: The Smileathlon: 4 Iron Triathlons in 4 Days: (£7,124.06)
2017: The Sunrise to Sunset Smileathlon: (£344.07)
2016: Watergate 16-Hr Ultra Marathon: (£1,402.00)
2015: Da Nang International Marathon: (£1,303.04)